Stone Life


Buried Alive

It is cliche, it is overused, it is hardly a valid excuse for anyone, but it is nontheless true; I am busy. I suppose this is what I bargain for by being an affluent American in 2006, trying to live several American dreams at the same time, but it is already taking its toll. Work has only just begun for the year, and I have not so much as stepped foot into a grad class for the semester, but I feel it coming, and the weight seems awfully heavy at the moment.

As you may know, I began teaching a couple of weeks ago, and this year is going to be tough. The level of preparation and study is has been multiplied exponentially, and I am faced with the task of shifting a wayward literature program back towards its original, intended purpose. Fighting parents, administration, and other teachers daily is draining, but I feel as if God has allowed me here for such a purpose. Those in control of the "literature", and I use that term loosely, department do not share the vision that I share, and I have been hired to help mold a curriculum of change, a change back towards classical education. The problem is that change is painful, painful for everyone involved. I intend to keep plugging away until they ask me to leave, though.

On the grad-school front, I have done something I vowed to never do while I am teaching; I am taking 3 UD classes. I will not go into the justifications I had to go through to convince the department chair that I was capable of doing so, but suffice it to say, this may be the dumbest move I have ever made. Dumb, but, I believe, necessary and beneficial.

I must get some sleep now. It's an early day tomorrow, and classes begin for me tomorrow night. I am going to enjoy the sleep of the free for one more night until December. I can feel it now. I just wanted to check in with those of you who still read this, knowing that I have not posted anything worth reading lately (my school has blocked Blogger from being accessed on school property).

Hope to talk with you all soon - Michael

3 Responses to “Buried Alive”

  1. # Blogger Abbey

    Well I hope you survive this sememster!! It sounds super busy! I'll be praying for you and Julie!  

  2. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    Michael, I feel you about being busy. Proud of you about your dedication to your new job. It'll be worth it. And even if nothing were to change, you can know that you did your job and did it well. However, I am certain that more than just one kid will be influenced/inspired under your challenging teacher. I wish I had a teacher who had pushed me to read.  

  3. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    Where are you? Still buried alive? Hope all is well with you and sweet Julie. Tell her thanks for sending that mail.
    Let us hear from you sometime. :)  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.