Stone Life


Holbein

Perhaps the best thing that I have done as a graduate student so far is to participate in the Russian novel class. It far exceeds my greatest expectations before the semester began. The depth of writers such as Dostoevsky and the masterful insights given my Dr. Louise Cowan each week make this a truly wonderful experience. (side-note: if anyone would like to come sit in on a lecture with me, they are on Thursday nights at 7:00. You can read the selection the week before or just come and experience Dr. Cowan's infectuous-love for literature) I will share some of my specific ideas in the coming days, but I wanted to share a picture with those of you who look at this.

In The Idiot, Dostoevsky makes central a painting by Holbein that depicts Christ in the tomb. It becomes a prominent figure in shaking the faith of several characters, due to the fact that Jesus is shown to be utterly human. I have been hearing about it for several weeks now, and I finally searched for it online today. It is truly a haunting piece of art.


2 Responses to “Holbein”

  1. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    I'm reading your blog... keep posting. We need to get those Gerlts posting again, too. The Blogs are quiet these days. :P  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.