Stone Life


Good Quotes

Proof that I have led my wife down a dark and dangerous path; she sent me a great quote she read that goes along with what she and I (and you) have been discussing of late.

"The true test of a first-rate mind is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas at the same time."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I also, in the course of my reading of Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady, came across some fun dialogue between Isabel and her aunt.

" Now what's your point of view? she asked of her aunt. When you criticize evertying here you should have a point of view. Yours doesn't seem to be American - you thought everything over there so disagreeable. When I criticize I have mine; it's thoroughly American!"

"My dear young lady," said Mrs. Touchett, "there are as many points of view in the world as there are people of sense to take them. You may say that doesn't make them very numerous! American? Never in the world; that's shockingly narrow. My point of view, thank God, is personal!

2 Responses to “Good Quotes”

  1. # Blogger Dustin

    Deleted my old comment and left a new comment on "A Blog For None and All."  

  2. # Blogger Momma B.

    Michael- I have been following your philisophical/theological discussion of life. Until now I have kept my comments to myself for fear of...not sounding intellectual? But regardless of my fears I want to encourage you. There is no harm in seeking truth. Jesus said seek me and live and He is truth. I just want you to know that I am praying that your sincere dedication to finding truth will ultimately take you closer to the knowledge of Christ. I feel confident that Jesus will help you answer your legitimate questions. His spirit can guide you better than I or yourself for that matter. So, keep seeking the answers you desire and God will impart to you wisdom. Proverbs 23:12 "Apply your heart to instruction, And your ears to words of knowledge."
    Proverbs 22:12 "The eyes of the Lord preserve knowledge, But He overthrows the words of the faithless."

    The words of the faithless will be overthrown, I am confident that the Lord will lead you to find the knowledge you seek.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.