Stone Life


I Should Be Ashamed

In my 'other' life, the one where I pretend not to be a skeptical-naturalist, I play the role of a....it pains me...Baptist. I grew up with this heritage, have a license to the ministry even, but, by and large, I have remained closeted in my affiliation for the past several years. I am outing myself, because I think I have hit an all-time low after last night.

Last year, despite heartfelt, though unvoiced objections to the contrary, Julie and I joined a Baptist church that needed a guitarist. I really had been itching to get back into a steady routine of playing, and I still have some notions of using one's gifts for the glory of God. I assumed this situation would allow me to kill those two birds with one guitar....uhhm, I mean, stone.
I have had my objections in the months since we walked down the aisle, shook hands with people who still do not even know our names, filled out cards insuring we will receive the monthly newsletter long after we leave the church, and helped perpetuate the extreeeemly questionable tradition of having an emotional-response-inducing "Invitation" at the end of a worship service, but none of my previously held-to qualms could compare with the moral dilemma I faced last night when I showed up to play for the third-night of our "ReNEWal" services.

First of all, allow me to translate for the majority of you who are not familiar with such a thing, because someone had to clue me in on what the hizzy a Renewal service is in the first place. Apparently, they are something very, very, very similar to what used to be called a Revival......only waaaaay coooooler......(skater-voice - "revivals are for your grandpa, grandpa. get with the times.....we don't revive, we renew....it's different, man").

The previous two nights were not any different from a normal service, and, granted, there were moments that made you cringe, but this is an every-Sunday occurrence, and I have grown accustomed to mild outrage or shame; last night was different. Speaking to a packed, packed beyond capacity in a church that usually draws well under half enough people to fill the two-story worship center, was none other than Don Piper (I did not know who he was either, but I thought wording it as such would add a dramatic flair). Piper wrote a book (above) that details his experience during his 90-minute 'death'. He was declared dead at the scene of a rural car accident, but he was miraculously revived over an hour later through what he attributes to an act of God, sending him back to preach his message to the masses (and he has - I believe he said over 2.4 million copies have sold, and it has apparently become a staple on the New York Times Bestseller List).

I take no potshots at the amazing healing that took place both immediately and long-after the wreck, and I think that this testimony alone would be astounding, but I found myself throughout the entirety of the 'sermon' questioning whether a.) he had some sort of unconscious dream sequence, and he really believes that what he saw was Heaven, or, b.) he is the greatest charlatan on the planet, a fraud. I waffled between these two extremes, because at times he was so very likable, deceptively engaging, but other times he was so vague in his descriptions, using smoke-and-mirrors tactics to distract from the topic at hand, fueling my suspicions.

By the time he was finished, I was nauseous, and I have never felt such a sense of shame as I did walking back onto that stage to play the closing songs. People were weeping, people were swooning, and I was a contributing member of this parade of dishonesty. I should have left; I should have at least stayed in my seat, not standing as a figure of support for such a charade. I am two-faced.

4 Responses to “I Should Be Ashamed”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm proud of my bro for continually questioning his beliefs and ideas about what is personally appropriate and acceptable and not just going along with what you're told to think/believe. Thanks for sharing and keep it up, yo.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Michael,

    This is concerning your post "Enough!"

    The fact that you as a teacher find fault in parents doesn't disturb me. One of my sister Kelly's biggest complaints about teaching is having to deal with stupid parents. :-) I believe many a teacher would say a resounding "Amen!" to your venting.

    The thing that disturbs me a bit is the fact that you don't feel called to love. We are called to love as children of God. That is in fact the greatest commandment of all..."Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself." Are these children not your current neighbors? The very foundation of faith in Christ Jesus and God our Father is love. It should be the motivation of all things we put the plow to or the result of our work will come to be "fruitless and barren" according to God's word.

    The key is that love is a choice, not a feeling. We have to choose to love as God chose to love us first. Love doesn't come easy or even naturally. I had to pray for God to give me love for the kids I taught in pre-school and He was faithful though it wasn't easy at times.

    Like it or not we are going to answer for how we are raising this generation coming up. Even if one is not a parent we all have a responsibility towards the little ones. They will some day be the makers and shakers of this society, and lets pray to God they met someone that taught them how to love or we are in trouble. Remember there is a great possibility that one of these kids will take care of you in a hospital or nursing home one day. Scary thought isn't it?

    Don't underestimate the power of loving one another. Love is what prevents us from hurting one another, and from other ghaustly things from occuring. One of the main reasons kids can go in and shoot and kill other human beings is the fact that they are deeply lonely and do not feel loved. I'm sure they were educated because they were in school right? Education is not the sole answer to the worlds woes. Yes teach those kids and share your passion for literature, but please value the person more than the book.

    Do you know what awaits the world when we loose sight of love as a society? When our hearts will enevitably "wax cold" because iniquity shall abound and men will ultimately become lovers of themselves and seek only to fulfill their own pleasures?

    2 Timothy 3:1-5
    But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
    2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents(and teachers),unthankful, unholy
    3unloving,unforgiving,slanderers,without selfcontrol,brutal,despisers of good,
    4traitors,headstrong,haughty,loversof pleasure rather than lovers of God,
    5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

    I believe that speaks of where we are today and my heart grieves for my children. Believe me I'd rather spend a day with these little ones that have not been hardened and in-bittered by the world and great sin. They are precious and their child-like love and honesty should give us hope.

    Suffer not the little children for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.

    In love,
    Cami

    p.s. It's a good thing we don't spend Christmas together any more because I'm sure my 3 little ones got on your nerves! But still miss you as a cousin and have fond memories of when we were wretched little kids getting stuff sticky! :-)  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I read the book "90 Minutes In Heaven" and I agree with your assessment...DP  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I took another look at this one. I'm glad to be able to keep up with my nieces and nephews through their blogging. You joined a Baptist church. What the heck does that mean? Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Protestant, Non-denominationl...what the heck does all that mean? You don't JOIN a church or GO to church! There is only one church and one mediator between God and Man and that is Jesus Christ. You become Born Again through faith in that belief and become THE CHURCH. The local church is almost good for nothing but deception, and Icabod is written on the doors. If you read your Bible more than your literature you could be knowledgeable and wise indeed for all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are in Christ Jesus the Lord. I like how you are questioning but the answers are right in front of you. Give it a try...Love ya  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.