Stone Life


WOW!

I just had a conversation with a student that is well worth writing a quick note about. I should probably write more about the life and mind of the modern-day 6th grader, but I try to distance myself from them as much as possible. They are an interesting study in psychology and sociology, though, and I guarantee that you don't remember yourself being the way that they are.

As for this kid, T, I will call him. First of all, let me tell you that we have been doing these journals in Bible for the last 13 or so weeks. 3 months ago, when we began, I spent about an hour detailing how I wanted these journal done. I had them take specific notes that I wrote on the board, and I even gave them examples and ideas on how to get started. There was no room left for ambiguity, because it was spelled-out for them in intricate detail. They boil down to this: each journal should be written in a 20-30 minute time span, 3 times a week, and the online content requirement is that they be concerned with the Biblical book of 1 John, which we have been studying each day in detail. Grading would be based on sheer participation, as long as it was original thought dealing with the text. Easy 100, right?...wrong.

This constituted the majority of their Bible grade, which should have sky-rocketed due to such an easy 'A', but they didn't. Many people began failing, because they were too lazy to do these journals and kept receiving zeroes. It has been disappointing to watch, but they and their parents don't seem to mind, so I've washed my hands of it.

Today was impressive, though. There is one kid who has a Bible average in the 'teens', that's right, something like a 14 or 15, mostly because he has not turned in one journal. This is the final week of journal writing, because we have just completed the book, and he comes to my desk with an earnest look about him. He opens his Bible and asks as boldly as if he were asking, "What time is it?" But he wasn't asking about the time. No, he was brave enough to ask, "Coach Stone, so what are you looking for with these journals?" He said it as if the word journals was some kind of alien, completely unknown and strange.

I felt like applauding the kid. I would never have the boldness enough to approach a professor 13 weeks into an assignment that I had previously neglected and ask him how to do it. It's like coming to church only on Easter Sunday and then asking how one might become a deacon. I didn't know what to say. I was completely dumbfounded.

So, let's raise our glasses to T today, because he is a brave soul indeed!

2 Responses to “WOW!”

  1. # Blogger Erin

    Well put, Coach Stone. This might be my favorite post yet.  

  2. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    Michael, this is my world! We have a joke among my team about students like this. Remind me to tell you about it. I'd post it, but it'd reveal how sorry of a teacher I can be. It's frustrating.. I feel ya! Looking forward to visiting with you and Julie soon.. it's been so busy this week. Wow. See ya!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.