Stone Life


Everyday Grace


I have not really mentioned mine and Julie's side-gig, because it has been a bit sporadic, but after this weekend I think it is well worth mentioning. We have been playing in a 4-part band called Everyday Grace with another couple since about January, mostly in the songwriting process up till now. We met at the church that owns my school when the pastor asked the 4 of us to come on board and begin leading worship on Sunday mornings. We did that for several months, and when we felt it was time to leave we kept playing together. We have mostly done some worship leading gigs while trying to write some new songs, but more lately we are playing/planning small shows that feature our original music. None of us are seeking a career move out of this, but it is really fun to enjoy my artistic side.

This weekend we play at an art-gallery showing in downtown-Dallas. It was on the top floor of Southside on Lamar. If you ever drive into downtown on I-30 you will see the giant sign on your right. I have always wondered what it is, and now I know. It is the old Sears building, and now it houses really trendy lofts, art galleries, and other such too-cool-for-me places. We did three hours in a concrete loft, where we didn't even need a sound system; just a couple of guitars and some hand percussion. This may sound vain, but the stuff we have been writing is really good in comparison with anything else I've ever written. We had a good crowd that was not there to see us, but sat around after they viewed the paintings and were really attentive.

I have been walking on air since Saturday night. How cool is it to get to sit around for 3 hours drinking free wine and champagne, playing music to a good audience, and being in a cool artsy setting. All was right with the world for that night.

I'll let you guys know where we are playing next...maybe you could come and hang out.

2 Responses to “Everyday Grace”

  1. # Blogger Chad Gerlt

    Michael, are you still up for some baseball on Thursday? I have a ticket for you if you want to go.  

  2. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    I need an "artistic side" - where can I get one of those? :P  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.