Stone Life


What Is This a Picture Of?



Perhaps the better question would be this: What is this NOT a picture of? Answer: This is NOT a picture of me at work at 9:30 this morning! Seriously, is there any better phone call in the world than the one at 5:45 that says, "Hey, coach, just wanted to let you know that school has been called off for the day due to the weather."? Suddenly, though it is still dark outside, the sun shines a little brigher, the cold does not sting your toes so much, and I would swear that an angel just received its wings. I am giddy with excitement at my school's quick-triggered response to even the slightest bad weather. Go Alban's!

I think the administrative staff was looking for any reason to take the day off, because they have been having to make major cuts this week in order to recoup 167 thousand dollars in 5 days. My understanding is that this means there will be a few less faculty/staff by this time on Monday morning. It has made for a relatively hushed and tense office-house this week. I feel fairly safe, but I did lose my first game as a coach, so we will see.

As I mentioned, the coaching gig started out with a whimper; we were blown-out by 25-or-so points, but we had only had 30 minutes of practice prior to the game, so I was pleased that we played as well as we did. Whatever they had been taught up to this point might be in complete opposition to the way that I want to play basketball, so it was like I was speaking Japanese to them the whole game. I would say, "Take it in", and they would assume that I wanted them to pass the ball to the double-teamed post player, when I really wanted them to drive to the basket. They did not know how to fast break, they couldn't set up in a half-court offense, the guards were afraid to dribble the ball, and they did not know how to run a simple 2-3 zone. Only 25 points might have been a gift.

Yesterday was my first practice with them, and it could not have gone better. I have been assisting with the varsity boys for this entire year, offseason workouts through the first 1/4 of the season thus far, and it has been like a kick in the groin every day of the week. They do not listen, they certainly do not consistently hustle, they roll their eyes, they pout, and they generally talk and play THEIR way.....which has led to more than a few embarrassing losses (30-plus points embarrassing). I could not be happier to be coaching these girls after 1 practice. They listened to every word I said, as if it was coming from Jesus Christ himself; in fact, they even "shsssed" someone for whispering something while I was explaining a drill. They hustled for 2 solid hours of practice, never once walking or jogging when it was supposed to be a sprint. They listened; when I said "bend your knees and sit lower on defense, they actually did it. They are not the most gifted athletes in the world, but they worked themselves as hard as I could push them in a 2 hour span. I am convinced that with their work-ethic they will win some games this year. I am excited to be doing it.

I better get back to studying. I am down to just a couple of weeks, and it is getting harder to stay motivated, but I am trying. Hope you all are getting a day off today or tomorrow too.

3 Responses to “What Is This a Picture Of?”

  1. # Blogger Erin

    If you guys have time for a break...we're having some yummy soup and fresh bread tonight for supper. We'd love you to come down! Glad you have a break from school today.  

  2. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    Hey there, Stonelife,

    Sorry I've been MIA in your comment section. I've been reading though. So glad you have a day off... enjoy. I'm enjoying the pics and the posts. We miss you guys!!

    JB  

  3. # Blogger Abbey

    I also got to enjoy the day off. Its nice when you live in the same "iced in" town as your boss. :)  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.