Stone Life


Did I Say Thirty....Um....




I know, I know, I am a liar. Not even a week in, and I already failed my challenge. I ask for your grace, though. Julie and I, as you can see are far from the friendly confines of our Dallas skyline, green-lighted buildings or Starbucks on every corner. With all the upheaval in our life these last few months, and particularly on account of Julie's changing of jobs, we did not take any sort of vacation to speak of this summer. So, we took a long weekend and are spending it in New Mexico. Currently we are in Cloudcroft in a rented cabin that could not be more secluded (see: right). We will go to Ruidoso for a couple of nights before heading back after Labor Day.

Now for my excuse. We get here last night, and it is pretty rustic by 2008 standards. The roads are gravel, which did not bode well for my tiny little Mini, and there is not even cable television (that is not entirely true - we get FoxNews, and basically nothing else - we are not sure if that is actually better than no tv at all, but it certainly helps prove my point that FoxNews is taking over the world. In a place that does not even have cable, how would one expect to find an internet connection? It was not until this morning that I came upon the internet connection while snooping around a bit. So, here we are.





Julie has been thrilled with fireplace. It has been raining, windy and cold (for two Dallasites) all night and day, so there has been a constant fire.







Mostly we have spent the day in and out of the hot tub and reading. I started school this last week, so I already have a pile of books to get through. I started one today that I would love to blog about, but I will wait until later to give it a full description. It is a history of hermeneutics for a class of the same name, though I think it could just as easily have been titled: Studies in Heidegger's Being and Time. What is think is so fascinating about the book, in light of the discussions I have been having of late, is the link that the author is making between Protestant hermeneutical principles, beginning with Augustine and continuing with Luther and beyond, and postmodern philosophy. A very convincing, logical case is being made, at least in my opinion thus far, between Protestant hermeneutics and postmodern, Heideggerian philosophy.

More to come, but for now we are going to eat.

2 Responses to “Did I Say Thirty....Um....”

  1. # Blogger Abbey

    The cabin looks great and boy do I wish I were in the cool mountains!!Say hi to Big Mama and Papa for us.  

  2. # Blogger Momma B.

    Cloudcroft is my FAVORITE vacation spot in NM! I Love it there! Have fun!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.