Stone Life


The Stone Era Has Arrived

This post is entirely self-gratifying in the most obvious of ways. In fact, I think only one other person will appreciate this, and he may be so caught up in peddling chicken across the Southern U.S. that he does not even read this blog anymore, but I will continue anyway.

Long ago the chicken-man taught me to play basketball....and I loved it! I have been playing consistently for the past near-decade (hard to believe), and in recent years I have developed a fair game for a slow white-guy (the distance running gives me a lot of stamina, which helps make up for obvious other deficiencies). Mr. Chicken and I spent several years wearing each other down in surprisingly fun and competitive games of full-court-1-on-1-to-a-hundred until we moved apart. Since then I have plied my craft at local gyms and rec-centers on a several-times-a-week basis.

Finally, after years of working my way up through the D-Leagues, a team picked me up from the garbage heap and asked me to play on their YMCA team. Here's the kicker - they think I am good. I get to be the number one scoring option (maybe this is more of an indication of how bad the other guys are).

Tonight was our unveiling....not terribly pretty. We scored 57 points, which they said was the most their team had scored in the previous three years they have been involved in the downtown league, but the other teach scored close to 70. I had something in the range of 15-18 points, but I truly could not care less. It was a blast to play in a real game....I had never done that.

So, Chad, I thought you would be happy and maybe even a little proud that your project is still going strong. I appreciate it....EAT MORE CHICKEN.

1 Responses to “The Stone Era Has Arrived”

  1. # Blogger Chad Gerlt

    There once was a day when I would feel very comfortable spotting you 15 points, agree not to shoot with my right hand, and feel very confident that I could defeat you 10 times in a row. (This is after you finished high school, I might add.) I have never seen any person in their 20's discover basketball, fall in love with it, and actually become good at it. Who does that? Now, I won't spot you a single point and I think I can beat you two out of three. You are a baller, and I would proudly have you on my team any day.

    Thanks for the post, and I hope we're both still playing when we're 60.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.