Stone Life


Exhale

I finally feel at least a bit relaxed, not entirely, but more so than I have in the last 2 days. (let me stop for just a second and tell you, I'm typing on a German keyboard, and many letters and symbols are in different places....I am becoming frustrated already, because I keep having to hit the backspace key) I am at my school, although I did not attend any classes today, I have been to my new home-for-the-summer, shed my backpack and showered, and there is nothing left to do but exist in a different country for a few weeks.

I realize more than ever before how different my brother and I are. What he loves doing, traveling and all of the things that accompany being a vagabond, I have realized I do not. Dislike is not quite accurate, but I certainly could not live the way I have for the last two days all of the time. I enjoy my routine. I like having a place to sleep, showers, bathrooms (that you do not have to pay to use), coffee maker, books, computer; a like having a home. Right now I miss having a home to go home to. (I also really miss Julie....but that is for another time)

I made it to London yesterday at 8:45 am, and, as the previous post indicated, I wandered aimlessly through the city trying to find some ghost of a trainstation that would take me on an overnight to Munich. When I first posted yesterday, I had been walking with my boulder of a backpack for an hour or two, but that was only the beginning. After I left the cafe, I was sure I knew where to go; surely the new set of directions could not be as bad as the first. I was wrong. The directions were not as bad as they were vague. I spent the next several hours walking through London, seeing everything I had ever heard about, but not having time to stop and look around. Finally, I gave up. I hopped a train to Brussels, being told I could find a connection to Munich from there.

As hard as I am trying to remember, I have no recollection of the train ride to Brussels. I remember the station in London, being grilled by a customs agent, eating an overpriced (isn't everthing in London?) bagel (first meal since 6:00 am), waiting in another waiting room for a couple of hours, and then I cannot even picture the train.

In Brussels I hit a wall. I was tired by the time I arrived there, having not slept more than 15 or so minutes at a time since I left Dallas, and so I was desperate to find a way to Munich. There were not direct connections, but I worked it out where I could take a train to Paris and then layover a few hours and take an all-nighter to Munich. The clerk asked if I would be willing to pay an extra 10€ for a bed on the second train, and I only laughed...that sounded GREAT!!

Paris woke me up a bit. It was cold and rainy, but what a beautiful place. I only wandered around for an hour or so, but that was enough to hook me. I think I will try to talk Julie into going there. It is tough to explain, but there is something uniquely magical about that place. Whereas walking around in London is like walking around New York City, crowded and hostile, Paris was very calm and inviting. I went and had a beer in a cozy little cafe where no one spoke English, though oddly beer did not need a translation, and then I caught my train to Munich.

A bed never looked so good as the one on that train last night. It was one of 6 bunks in a tiny room, each filled by a person. There was one English spoke, though he spoke French and German as well, one Frenchman, and three Germans. The trilingualist and one of the Germans talked well into the night, and so I laid in my bunk attempting to pick up bits and pieces of their conversation. It is funny to me how different the European mind is from the American. Six strangers shared a room together last night, and it was no big deal. I really enjoyed the experience.

I finally arrived in Munich at 9:00 am, had a cup of Milchkaffee, which we would call a latte, and navigated the public transportation system to my new home. After meeting Max, the other half of my host-couple, Constantine and I (he is a Athenian couch surfer staying with Anja and Max) headed back into the city, he to museums, and I to register at school. So, here I am.

Now I am off to buy my books.....and a JACKET. It is rainy and cold here! Max and Constantine both laughed when they heard that I was advised it would be hot here. They said it might be summer-like weather in July, but probably not anytime soon. Oh well, it just adds to the adventure.

Till next time.

5 Responses to “Exhale”

  1. # Blogger Chad Gerlt

    That sounds like quite an adventure my friend. Glad to hear all is well for now.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    When (or if) you travel long enough these turn into the kinds of adventures that, oddly, keep you going. At least that's how it works with me. It took me 2 whole months before I stopped freaking out and finally found my stride. I hope yours finds you substantially earlier (let's say 2 weeks) and that you find the joy in the unknown/undecided road in front of you that I now find every day - especially and even more so in the light of adversity. You won't be living this lifestyle forever so I hope you can find a way to make it not only tolerable but pleasurely memorable and spiritually rewarding. I know you will and I'm excited for you.

    Rock on, bro!  

  3. # Blogger Jamie Butts

    I'm off to be your sub at your school. =) I'll let you know how it goes. Stay safe. Stonehouse (?) misses you.

    Jamie  

  4. # Blogger Abbey

    I'm jealous that both you and Jim have now been to Paris. I'm dying to go. Guess I should just pack my bags and head over there huh? Seems you and Jim are good at it! Love you...  

  5. # Blogger debdud

    Hey Michael,
    Glad you are safe. Watching game 5 right now...seems weird not to be getting harrassed from you...talked to Julie last night -will try to hook up next week.

    my week has been frustrating due to lack of creature comforts in new house..poor water pressure, no hot water, roaches..sounds maybe like adustments to Europe, but listening to rain on screened porch made up for it.

    love reading your blog...drinken sie ein/ zwie bier (for me) - lost my german book!!

    3rd quarter...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    miss you,
    debby  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.