Stone Life


A New Day

The sun, figurative, not literal, is shining a little brighter today (I say figurative, because I do not actually think that I have seen the sun in Germany....seriously.....but I have seen lots of rain, which I actually like) Compared with the last several, today is much better.

1. I talked with my wife for the first extended time last night. We have been exchanging emails, and there have been a few 5 minute quickies, but last night she used a cheap calling card, called me at the house, and we were able to speak for 45 minutes or so, which may be a record for us.

On a side note, I called her from Paris and left a message on her voicemail that was no longer than 45 seconds or so. She got the bill.....25 dollars!!! I will not make the mistake of using an un-priced phone again.

2. Julie is coming to visit. She should be able to come at the end of the month and stay for 12 days or so. Details have not been worked out, but that makes me happy. This is such an enjoyable place, but it feels a bit empty without her.

3. School was good. The class I am in now is a perfect fit. It is quite challenging, but it is on my level. There is absolutely no English spoken, but that makes it kind of fun. Even when the professor gives a defintion to a word that we do not know, he uses smaller German words or charades-like gestures to help us figure it out. This is definitely the way to learn, because, though you do not pick up every word every time, getting kicked-out-of-the-nest, so to speak, really accelerates the learning curve.

4. I am figuring things out. It has been quite hard being a foreigner, becuase I cannot even buy the right food or purchase a ticket for a train without assistance, which has been fairlz difficult to come by in certian instances. I am starting to get a rhythm, though. I am becoming more comfortable attempting to speak, and things are beginning to make more sense, though I am still learning.

For example, this morning I went to the train station, determined not to be late for school again. I tried to buy a 10 day pass, but I could not figure out which one was which. Once I finally did, I tried to pay, but the machine would not accept a 20€ bill, and the train was fast approaching. I searched for 1€ coins to no avail, and soon the train was sitting beside me with the doors preparing to close. I jumped on board without a ticket, and of course my heart was racing, though in all of my previous train rides I had never seen a person check tickets. There are 5 or 6 stops in between my home and the central station where I catch the subway, and so I was just hoping not to get caught. 2 stations in I notice a person walking through the long carriage scanning tickets. Of course, never had I seen it before, but on the one day I do not have one he is there. He is quickly approaching, and we are in between stations, and so I casually make my way to the far end of the car, hoping to avoid him. Just a few rows before he gets to me we stop at a station, and I jump off, narrowly avoiding getting caught. I found a machine that would take my 20€, and then I boarded the next train, and all was well, though I wonder what would have happened had I been caught.

2 Responses to “A New Day”

  1. # Blogger Julie

    You've only been in the country three days and you're already breaking the law.

    Seriously, though, it's so good to hear that it was a better day. I look forward to talking to you later.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    If you were caught in Berlin the fine would be 45€, demanded on the spot. Trust me, this sucks. Munich is generally pretty lax about checking tickets, although I, of course, don't recommend not having one regularly... just now and then.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.