Stone Life


Picture of a Picture of a Picture of Stupidity

I was a truly terrible coach (reason #489 that I have no business teaching school children) yesterday and skipped the Junior High Sports Banquet, but I could not bring myself to do it. I felt bad... I could give a laundry list of excuses, but let us be honest, I do not think I would have gone had it been the only thing possible to do with my evening. Have you ever been to one of these - it's as exciting as watching paint dry, only instead of paint, it's my soul, and, instead of drying, it's like rotting from the inside out.

My players came to me this afternoon and gave me a photo album, which was very cool of them. They are their parents were pleased with the season, and so they wanted to show their appreciation. The best picture in the album is this one:

It look innocent enough, and I wish I could remember the story as well as my players and their parents do, but they reminded me that the poor kid sitting next to me was in the process of, not patting me on the back or offering warm affection in the midst of a tough game; rather, he was in the beginning stages of what would soon become something like a bear hug to keep me from from being swallowed up by the white and black monster just out of the frame.

What the picture fails to show is that, just prior to this shot, in a moment of weakness on my part, I let a ref know what I thought of him, and particularly his calls that game as he ran by. It is fair to say that we had a disagreement with his officiating, ending with my repeatedly questioning his mental state. He T'd me up, and told me that "if [I] so much as moved from that seat again or said another word, he would throw [me] out of the gym." In my opinion, mission accomplished; I said what I needed to say, which made me feel better, and he did what he needed to do to shut me up. My poor kids were scared to death, though. Charles immediately clutched me as if I might spring out of my chair and attack the poor ref. Everyone had a good chuckle afterwards about the technical (my first and only, I believe), but they still will not let Charles live down his reaction. Now it is immortalized.

2 Responses to “Picture of a Picture of a Picture of Stupidity”

  1. # Blogger Josh

    Only one technical in a year? While I only had 3 (during district play), yeah, I mean 3 (in pre-district play) technicals this year, I seem to always find key moments to get them. Believe it or not, only 1 of the 6 (yes, I know, 6 in a single season is shameful...) was unintentional. My players this year had games where they needed me to get T'd in order to play better, so I did what I had to do. You learn what buttons to push in order to get one quickly.

    That picture is awesome. You'll remember it.

    Josh Jones  

  2. # Blogger Josh

    This comment has been removed by the author.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Stone Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online.